Students are encouraged to meet with an Academic Advisor during their first semester of study at MIU. Advisors are available in every Academic Department. Academic Advisors are trained to assist students in class selections and to create the most successful and efficient path to graduation. See Academic Advisors for a complete list of standard program advisors.
General education graduation requirements and major and minor requirements are published on the University Catalog in effect when students began studying at the university.
MIU has two official graduation dates: one at the end of December and one at the end of June. The Graduation Ceremony takes place only once a year, at the end of each academic year.
Steps to Officially Graduate
- Complete all your Degree Program’s requirements.
- Complete a Forest Academy every semester you were enrolled full-time.
- (For Undergraduates only) Complete all your General Education requirements including a minimum of 128 course credits and completion of senior assessments.
- If any of your academic department’s courses have been waived, your Department Academic Advisor must send written authorization to the Graduation Director in the Enrollment Center.
- Submit a Graduation Application online and a payment for the graduation fee. You can pay your graduation fee online. More details below. Review the Graduation FAQ. NOTE: The deadlines for graduation application and fees is are November 1st for December’s graduation and April 15 for June’s graduation. (See the MIU Academic Calendar)
- Delays in payment may cause delays in processing of your graduation.
- The graduation fee is $35, or $70 if you are attending the commencement in person. You can pay by credit card via Pay Pal using the Graduation Application. (If you don’t have a Pay Pal account, do not worry, you can still make a one-time payment via Pay Pal after you complete your online graduation application.)
- Pay any outstanding student account balance, department fees or library fees.
As graduation nears
- Check the Departure Checklist for a complete list of possible items of business to take care of before graduation.
- Check your email for graduation notices.
- Give your suggestions for the traditional Class Gift.
- (For Undergraduates only) Complete the Alumni Survey.
- For International Students: if you are inviting out-of-town guests to Commencement, you can request an official letter of invitation, a schedule of events, and information about off-campus lodging. Contact your Graduation Director at email@example.com to request this.
- Graduating students can receive up to 3 tickets for the Commencement Garden Party. Tickets will be available at the Cap and Gown meeting in June, or after the meeting at the Enrollment Center.
Unsure If You Are Ready To Graduate?
- MS in Computer Science:
Contact SungChull Park: firstname.lastname@example.org, 641-472-7000 (ext. 4331)
- All other students:
Contact the Graduation Director, Avilasa Sengupta: email@example.com, 641-472-7000 (ext. 2205)