Program Charges, 2022-2023
Program charges are per semester (Fall and Spring plus Summer) except for the following programs:
- MS in Computer Science
- MBA in Accounting for Professionals
- MBA in Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP/SAP) for Professionals
- Regenerative Organic Agriculture Certificate
- Non-Degree Guest Students: one course at a time, $500 per credit
- English as a Second Language
Undergraduate tuition per semester
Financial Aid is available for those who qualify, including a need-based scholarship for the full-time rate.
- Full Time (12 or more credits) $ 8,000
- Three Quarter Time (9 to 11.75 credits) $4,800
- Half Time (6 to 8.75 credits) $2,800
- Less than 6 credits per semester is $500 per credit.
Graduate tuition per semester
|Graduate degree||12 or more credits||6-11 credits|
|MS in Aromatherapy & Ayurveda||$8,000||$3,500|
|MS in Maharishi AyurVeda & Integrative Medicine||$8,000||$4,500|
|Master of Business Administration||$9,500||$4,800|
|MS in Computer Science||$16,000||$750 per credit|
|MA in Consciousness & Human Potential||$8,000||$2,800|
|MFA in Creative Writing||$8,937||$4,800|
|MA in Enlightenment & Leadership||$8,000||$4,800|
|MFA in Visual Art||$8,937||$4,800|
|MS in Regenerative Organic Agriculture||$6,500||$4,000
|MFA in Screenwriting||$9,780||$4,800|
|Master’s in Software Development||$15,000||$500 per credit|
|MA in Studio Art||$8,000||$4,800|
|PhD Entry Level||$8,000||$5,400|
|PhD Candidate Level||$4,000||$4,000|
|PhD Researcher Level||$2,500||$2,500|
Graduate students are full-time with six or more credits. Less than 6 credits is $500 per credit, except that the MS in Computer Science is $750 per credit. Student budget for loan eligibility and enrollment reporting is half-time for 4 to 5.75 credits, and ¼ time for less than 4 credits. Work or practicum credit is included, based on credits issued. PhD Candidates and Researchers are always full-time, with no reduction or proration for credit load variations.
Housing and meals charges per semester
|Semester Length||Full Meals||Housing||Vastu Dorm|
|12 or more weeks in a semester||$2,000||$1,700||$900 additional|
|6-11 weeks in a semester||$1,000||$850||$450 additional|
There is a 50% discount for Deluxe Double rooms. Less than six weeks in a semester is $210 per week for housing and meals.
All students who live on campus receive a bundled package of housing and three meals per day, six days per week, and two meals (brunch and dinner) on Sunday. Meal charges are not available without housing charges. Off-campus students may buy discounted meal passes at the bookstore.
Undergraduate students under 21 years of age are required to live the residence halls on campus. Exceptions include legally married students, those with dependents, and graduate students. Students with exceptional circumstances, such as living with their parents in Fairfield, may petition Student Life for an exception. Students under age 21 who have lived on campus for one year and have a GPA of 3.0+ may also petition Student Life for an exception.
Students moving off-campus during a semester
Students who move out of the residence halls after they have registered will not be eligible for a reduction in housing charges for that semester, except when charges must be reduced due to university withdrawal.
Enrollment that mixes courses from different programs or program tracks
Degree program enrollment may be only one degree program per term. A student may include courses from a different program level with appropriate approvals. For example, if a Bachelor’s or PhD student adds a Master’s level course in a term, the designated degree program for the term always remains the Bachelor’s or PhD program, no matter how many Master’s course credits are taken that semester.
Terms and intersessions
- Professionals programs have two six-month terms: the Fall starts in mid-June and ends in mid-December, and the Spring starts in mid-December and ends in mid-June.
- All other programs: The two standard semester terms are 18 weeks as defined on the published academic calendar. The January Intersession is attached to the spring semester, and the Summer term stands alone.
- Summer Term: Credits are designated under the separate summer term for all purposes, including enrollment status, Satisfactory Academic Progress, and all other term-based processes. Tuition is $500 per credit ($750 per credit for the MS in Computer Science). On-site undergraduates will receive scholarships (and grants if available) to cover tuition. Housing and meals are $210 per week for on-campus students while in class. Undergraduates will receive a scholarship (and grants if available) to cover tuition. Housing and meals are $210 per week for on-campus students while in class.
- January Session: Credits earned for courses starting after the Winter Holiday break are session credits added onto, and part of, the standard spring semester. Tuition / Housing/ Meals are charged in the same way all credits are charged for spring semester enrollment as a whole.
- Student Fees: $265 per semester is allocated 36% to technology infrastructure, 33% to student wellness clinic, 19% to student activities, and 12% to student athletic facilities. Fees are not prorated for partial enrollment. Fees are not charged when enrollment is less than seven weeks in a semester, or if the entire semester is taken outside of Jefferson County.
- Application Fees: Applicants are asked to submit a nonrefundable application processing fee of $20.
- International Students Health Insurance: International students are charged an estimated $1,753 per semester for six months of required health insurance unless otherwise insured (proof of other insurance required within two weeks of initial semester registration). Health insurance is not prorated for partial enrollment, except for three-month increments (approximately 50% of the semester rate) as long as no claims have been incurred. Insurance amounts listed on the Financial Aid Award Letter are estimated until the rates are finalized with the insurance provider.
- TM-Sidhi® course: Students may receive four academic credits from MIU for the TM-Sidhi course taught by the Maharishi Foundation in coordination with MIU through a contractual agreement. The cost of the course is $1,000 for Maharishi International University students. There is an additional cost of $950 for the final two weeks in residence ($530 for students who reside in MIU dorms).
Enrollment status and grade level progression
Students with federal aid have their enrollment status, academic program, length of the program, and grade level reported monthly to the National Student Loan Data Service. For undergraduates, 32 credits are designated for grade-level progression (33-64 credits is second-year grade level).
Other estimated costs of attendance
- Books, Equipment and Supplies — $1,000 per year
- Personal Expenses and Transportation — $3,800 per year
- Off-Campus Housing and Meals — $7,400 per year
Evening-Weekend and Online Programs:
- Book and Supplies — $200 to $500 per academic year
- Personal Expenses and Transportation — $2,000 per year
- Off-Campus Housing and Meals — $6,000 per year
These other estimated costs of attendance are generally applicable to full-time students. Half-time student estimated costs are generally 50% of the amounts listed above.
Semester payment is due by August 1 for the fall semester and by January 1 for the spring semester. Payment may be made by Visa, MasterCard, Discover, e-check from domestic accounts, and peer-Transfer from foreign accounts. Details.
Other points regarding charges
Students with a remaining balance due should pay it to the university before leaving. In case students are requested to withdraw from the university because of poor academic standing or disciplinary reasons, reductions in charges are the same as for other withdrawals from the university. An appeals process for review of specific situations is available by filing a Financial Review Board petition form.
Study abroad and courses delivered by other institutions under contractual agreement
US students eligible for federal aid will be assisted in obtaining it to attend eligible study-abroad programs. Only $500 of university tuition will be charged when the other institution grants academic credit via an approved transcript. University tuition is charged for any other course taken away from Fairfield, including internships, fieldwork, thesis, projects, Maharishi Vedic Science special studies, and other studies, even when the source of coursework is not primarily taught by MIU faculty.
Non-degree / guest students
Special students who are not seeking a degree may take courses, upon application approval, at the rate of $500 per credit, with housing and meals for $210 per week (financial aid, including scholarship, will not be available). A maximum of two courses (8 credits) can be transferred to a degree program. A student who withdraws after the first day of the course will be charged a minimum of 50% of the course fee, and after 25% of the course, there is no refund.
Information for recipients of grants
In the event that available state funds are insufficient to pay the full amount of each approved Iowa Tuition Grant, the Iowa College Student Aid Commission has the authority to administratively reduce the award. State awards may include Federal LEAP/GAP funds.
MIU will offer no fewer than the following options to a student who is a member, or the spouse of a member, if the member has a dependent child, of the national guard or reserve forces of the United States and who is ordered to national guard duty or federal active duty:
- Withdraw from the student’s entire registration and receive a full refund of tuition and mandatory fees.
- Make arrangements with the student’s instructors for course grades, or for incompletes that shall be completed by the student at a later date. If such arrangements are made, the student’s registration shall remain intact and tuition and mandatory fees shall be assessed for the courses in full.
- Make arrangements with only some of the student’s instructors for grades, or for incompletes that shall be completed by the student at a later date. If such arrangements are made, the registration for those courses shall remain intact and tuition and mandatory fees shall be assessed for those courses. Any course for which arrangements cannot be made for grades or incompletes shall be considered dropped and the tuition and mandatory fees for the course refunded.
In accordance with Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, MIU assures it will not impose any penalty, including
- the assessment of late fees
- the denial of access to classes
- the denial of access to libraries or other institutional facilities
- the requirements that a Chapter 31 or Chapter 33 recipient borrow additional funds to cover the individual’s inability to meet his or her financial obligations to MIU due to the delayed disbursement of a payment by the US Department of Veterans Affairs
The university reserves the right to increase or decrease university scholarship at any time, for any reason, for any individual. Such a change in scholarship level (up or down) may be reviewed by petition from the student.
Maharishi International University and its educational programs, and benefits are available to all people without distinction as to sex, age, race, religion, color, national or ethnic origin, handicap, veteran’s status, or sexual orientation. Institutions of higher education are required by law (Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1963, Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1973, and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990) to provide this broad access to their educational programs and to serve society in a way that treats, with equal dignity, the diversity of individuals and groups which comprise our society. Inquiries concerning Title IX, Section 504, and the Americans with Disabilities Act should be directed to the General Counselor’s Office, Maharishi International University, Fairfield, Iowa, 52557, (641) 472-1175.
In compliance with Iowa Code Annotated Title VII 3 261B, please see www.miu.edu for course titles, descriptions, academic policies, credit earned, and degrees, as well as accreditation information, in combination with the charges and refund policies herein. Maharishi International University reserves the right to change, without prior notice, its charges, and policies.
Information in this document is in accord with federal regulations as of March 1, 2022